
A little about us including why we were formed and our aims.
A little about the main pages of our site and what you'll find there.
Where to contact us on social media.
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book, where it is noted as having a church. The name 'Upton' meant 'High Farm'. Formerly a township in the parish of Badsworth, in 1866 Upton became a separate civil parish. In 1885, the Hull and Barnsley Railway opened a railway station at the south end of the village, which also served the community of North Elmsall. In 1924, Upton Colliery was opened to the south east of the village, but was closed in 1964.
The name 'Elmsall' is derived from the Old-English 'elm', literally meaning an elm tree, and the Anglian 'halh', meaning a nook of land or a small valley. An acknowledgement of a settlement in this area can be found in the Domesday Book. Llisted buildings in North Elmsall include The Old Hall, thought to be built in around the 17th century or earlier and Lodge Farmhouse, built around 1800, and its nearby coach house and barn.

© Upton and North Elmsall Local History Group [2026]
Design by Borderline Fox